So I was in NYC on Wednesday, both for the day job (had to get a new computer, plus meet with our designers) and for the In the Flesh erotic reading series that night. And I'm still alive! Squee!
I had to kill time between work and the reading, so I saw Spider-Man 3. Spiffy. Loved the fight scenes--oh, Sandman was way cool, and Venom was nice and terrifying. But I have some questions for those who would know (Meljean, you reading this?)
1. Didn't Gwen Stacy get tossed off a bridge by the Green Goblin and, like, die? Or was that strictly comic-book only?
2. Eddie Brock...a photographer? REALLY? Wasn't he in prison before the whole symbiote thing happened? (And was that really Topher Grace from That Seventies Show? Dude's grown up...)
3. Is Mary Jane ever going to get tired of being the perpetual DID (damsel in distress)? If there's a Spider-Man 4, do you think they'll morph her character with Felicia Whatshername and make her the Black Cat?
4. Why does Evil Peter have good hair and Good Peter have nerd hair? Why can't nerds have good hair?
5. Did anyone else want to slap MJ during the first third of the movie? Whine, whine, whine, why don't they love me? Why didn't I get a good review? Man, could you imagine if she were an author--she'd cry her redheaded heart out if Bam or Mrs Giggles read her work.
These are the questions that plague me.
So, the reading! I was very nervous when I got to the Happy Ending Lounge -- I didn't know what to expect, and God knows, I'm not a good public speaker. But I met a bunch of terrific people, plus my mom showed up with four friends.
Let me say that again. My mom, with four friends in tow, showed up to support me as I read my big ol' nookie scene from Hell's Belles. Aloud. In public. Does my mom kick ass, or what?
I was fifth in the lineup, out of six readers. So I had the chance to listen to most of the others before it was my turn -- and that helped a lot. Calmed me down. Gave me a chance to drink heavily. By the time I got called up, I was ready. And buzzed. And...I think it went well! I thanked my mom for being there (everyone applauded for her; how cool was that?), and then I launched into the scene. And I forgot to be nervous. Yay! Right after Jezzie climaxed, I stopped reading and said into the mike: "Having fun yet, Mom?" The entire place broke up, and I made Mom blush. Hee! (Love you, Ma!)
All in all, it was fabulous, and I hope I can do it again.
YO: Note to any erotica authors out there--or if you're an author with nookie scenes in your work: Rachel from In the Flesh is looking for more readers in her lineup! Please do contact her.
So I'm working on the novella, A HELL OF A TIME. Yay, me! And I just sent a new dark paranormal-romance proposal to my agent. We'll see what he says...
Doing a signing in Saratoga Springs tomorrow (Saturday) at 2 pm, at the Borders on Route 50. Wish me luck!