Yeah, you guessed it: Jezebel has another interview posted, this one with the marvelous Jim C. Hines' protagonist of his newly released novel, Goblin Quest, Jig. Brian told me I have to start issuing spew warnings, so here it is: Be Warned That You May Spew Your Coffee When Reading.
One: While I'm not technically NaNoing this year, I am working on two projects: HOTTER THAN HELL and SCHMOOZING THE ALMIGHTY. The HOT chapter outline is coming along fine -- this one's going to be a killer story. And I'm psyched to say (er, type) that my agent enjoyed the first two chapters of ALMIGHTY, even with the style being way different then that of the HELL books. Yeah, I'm thrilled with these two projects.
Two: My editor should be reading ROAD in December. Me, not biting my nails... My amazing Crit Partner told me that she believes ROAD is even better than HB. I dunno -- we'll see what my editor says. My agent called ROAD a "polished, sophisticated story," which I'm DEFINITELY not complaining about. But still, I'm anxious.
One thing about me as a writer: I can't seem to hold onto my successes (I! Wrote! My! Second! Novel!) for very long; I keep looking at what's next, what needs to be improved, what else I have to do.
I'm a VERY sick woman.
Three: Saw my back-cover copy for ROAD. WOOT!!!!! I have no idea who at my publisher came up with it, but man, do I want to give them cookies! Nope, not sharing it here, but suffice to say that I'm thrilled with it. (Yes, back cover copy before my editor read the manuscript.)
Four: I GOT ANOTHER HELL'S BELLES BLURB! Ready?
"Wicked, sexy, and delightfully funny, Hell's Belles is hot stuff. I'm burning to get my hands on the sequel."
-- JA Konrath, author of Whiskey Sour
THANK YOU, JOE! (Joe rocks. Many writers I know are avid readers of his terrific blog, A Newbie's Guide to Publishing. Terrific stuff. And Jezebel will be interviewing the inimitable Harry, of Joe's Jack Daniels Mystery Series, in the near future.
Five: Ah, this one's not a writing thing. I'm (gasp) exercising. Going to the gym. Doing 30 minutes on the bike. Drinking water. Okay, still eating chocolate (hey, this is me, after all). But now I'll be healthier when I nibble my Godiva.
Six: The amazing Martha O'Connor has tagged me! Eee, I'm giddy over this being my second tag. Hmm. Okay, five more things about me...
1. I used to be a rabid comic-book fan girl. I still have something like 9,000 comics, slowly disintegrating in their boxes. The good stuff, too; none of that Archie crap. Superheros -- you know, guys in spandex. And anthropomorphic personifications.
2. Even though I'm one of the worst girly girls I know, I used to have a doll collection. When my dad traveled, he'd bring home a doll from wherever he'd been (which I have to say was really freaking awesome of him). My dolls and I used to play superheroes.
3. I read all the early Nancy Drews. (Again, thanks to my dad, who used to read to me at night when I was a kid.) The only things I remember about them is that Nancy was a fashionista, Tess (or was it Bess?) was working on her MRS degree, and George was a lesbian. (Wasn't she?)
4. Loving Husband and I have this running joke about how Madonna and Mick Jagger are the same person...and neither of us remembers how the joke started.
5. I fell in love with Loving Husband when I was 15. (Awwwwww.) Except he had a girlfriend. (Oops.) We didn't actually start dating until I was 24. At our wedding, the rabbi got the story wrong and told our guests that LH and I were "childhood sweethearts."
And now...I hereby tag...